Thursday, July 03, 2003

The Incredible Shrinking Apartment

How is it that, between the time you sign the lease and the time you move in, apartments tend to shrink about 400 square feet?

No, they do, I swear. It's not just me! Sean looked at me the other day, cocked his head to the side like a curious Jack Russell terrier, and asked: "Wasn't this place bigger before?"

It was! I swear it! It has mysteriously decreased in size! And gotten further from the bus stop!

Apparently it's a widespread phenomenon. Others have reported it, as well.

But, it's still a nice, big place. I think the bathroom may actually have increased in size. The ceilings are high enough to necessitate the purchase of a ladder just to change lightbulbs. (And before you make a smartass comment about Sean and I's Sasquatch-like dimensions, bear in mind that the ceilings are 11 feet high!) The floors still sparkle pretty, and the kitchen is still chock-full of almost-new appliances. Including, thanks to the purchasing power of a Home Depot card that's almost maxed out before it arrives, a brand-spankin'-new washer and dryer. (My new definition of "serious relationship"--co-owning a large appliance or two!!!)

So, I'm psyched about the place. (If we could fast-forward ahead to after everything's moved and unpacked, I'd be even happier...)

The best part of the "new" apartment, though, was the impossibly huge grin on Sean's face as he looked at me and said: "It's our apartment, honey!"

*insert "AWWWW!" track here*

No comments: