Monday, October 06, 2003

Cold.

It's cold out. Nippy. Nipply. Chilly. Downright cold. And it's too damn early for that, if you ask me.

I moved to Cleveland just a hair over 5 years ago. People said it would be "cold". I flipped my hair at them and replied: "I like cold weather!"

I have never lived that down. Especially when I moved from Cleveland to anything-but-balmy Boston.

You see, I have realized something since then. I do like cold weather. Maryland cold weather. In Maryland, save for a scant few REALLY cold days, "cold weather" = around 36 degrees. It usually gets to be that way in December, and is that way off and on through February. Brr! So cold! So nice to bundle up in your heavy coats!

Well, it's only the beginning of October. And when I wake up in the morning, it's 37 degrees. And I wear my light fall coats. So maybe I'm slowly becoming hardier.

But please, don't ask me not to complain incessantly all winter long. That's a New England pasttime I instantly adopted when I moved here 2 years ago.

And, for the love of God, don't remind me that "I like cold weather". It's a good way to get something pinched.

No comments: