Saturday, February 07, 2004

What's the Worst That Could Happen?

As many of you who know me IRL may know, my illustrious "other half", Sean, is an enthusiastic aquarist. (That's a nice way of saying "There is a really big fish tank in our apartment".) I enjoy the fish. They are quite neat. And I've learned to deal with such inconveniences as Sean using a 50-ft length of plastic tubing to suck out and replace aquarium water (meaning the sink neads a THOROUGH disinfecting after...), or walking around with little test strips and imploring "What color is this?"

But, today's incident took the cake.

One of our fish is this really cool big giant eel-like thing called a Ghost Knife. His name is Mack. (I named him, thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week...) Now, Mack, being a fish of the large, honkin' variety, likes to eat other things that have some semblance of a face. So today; less than an hour ago in fact, Sean was sold on a batch of some sort of little wriggly black worm by a tropical fish dealer. Sounds fine, right? No biggee there. Except for one thing.

It was on the way home from the shop that Sean informed me that these guys would nead to live in the refridgerator. (AYFKM? "Would you pass me the hummus, honey? It's right next to the LIVING BREATHING WIGGLY LITTLE FREAKING WORMS.")

Now, that's bad enough.

But a second ago I heard a telltale *sploosh* come from the kitchen. It was followed by a telltale "Oh, SHIT.", and a telltale "Er...honey? Don't come into the kitchen."

Asking me not to do something is a wonderful way to ensure that I will, in fact, do that said something. So I peeked around the kitchen door to see---you guessed it, a floor with a rapidly-expanding puddle of water and little black wriggling worms. He's scooping them up using cardboard boxes, paper towels, and a dustpan as we speak. And every now and then, he yells out: "You are NOT blogging that!!!! You are NOT blogging that!!!"

Rest assured, folks, I am blogging that. And this is the very last time any sort of worm purchase will occur. Unless of course, we're doing some fishing or something...

No comments: