Friday, September 13, 2002

Thank you....

...to the T driver who did NOT slam the doors in my face, allowing me to catch the T, catch my shuttle, and make it to work on time so I could write blogs instead of doing actual work.

So, here's the story:

I was running around my apartment this morning, trying to get all the stuff done that needs to be before I can walk out the door, when my roommate (Barbara) offered me a ride to the T with her and her boyfriend. Now, an intelligent person would have jumped at the chance to avoid the almost-a-mile jaunt to public transit. Did I? Well, that'd be "no". I instead elected to scamper around the apartment a little more, doing things that DIDN'T need to be done (y'know, like look for a pair of shoes I wasn't going to wear anyway?). So when I finally left, I was not only late but late AND having the pleasure of an almost-a-mile walk to the T. Up and down several large hills. While clutching my "work bag", my purse, a coffee, and a sandwich (so it wouldn't get squished!).
So, there I am, hustling up and down all these hills in my little sandals; (Ouch! Still limping!) replaying the scene from "Crocodile Dundee" in which the female lead (what the hell was her name, anyway?) runs down the street sans heels in pursuit of Paul Hogan in my head. The music was even there--"dun-da-da-dun-da-da-da-da-dun". But would I find my beloved Aussie (aka, the train) when I got there?
I was rounding the corner and headed down the hill when it pulled up. ("There he is! But he can't hear me!") I had no choice--I had to make a break for it. I threw caution to the wind and broke into a full-out run, sandwich and coffee flying madly about. ("Tell that strange Australian fellow that I broke up with my fiance!") I was just coming up behind the last car of the train when the doors shut ("Why did you break up with your fiance?"). Ahh, but if there's one thing I am it's tenacious. Not to be deterred, I continued running--I probably just was unable to apply the brakes at this point--up to the "front" door and stared plaintively at the driver ("Because I love you!"). Wonder of wonders, he OPENED them for me, saying "I'm sorry, sweetie; I almost didn't see you there." (*Paul Hogan climbs up on people's heads to reach unnamed female lead*) I boarded the T, grateful and gasping for breath (I even put $1.25 into the slot instead of just putting in a buck and pointing at the person behind me accusingly). And guess what? When we got to Fenway, my shuttle hadn't pulled away yet (the happy couple embraces amidst thunderous applause)!

So, all's well that ends well. (And they lived happily ever after and made some crappy sequels!)

Happy Friday the 13th, ya'll!

No comments: